Saturday, December 12, 2009

Learning to Sew

A little girl and her creative mind at work. It appears I am making some kind of an outfit for my doll. I wonder what the outfit looked like when it was complete.

It is funny to see me with such big scissors. Now-a-days people would throw a fit if a child had sharp adult scissors.

My Mom taught me and my sisters (at least the older two) how to sew at a young age. When I was a teenager I took sewing lessons from a lady down the street and made all kinds of clothes for myself. I even made a wool skirt and vest and entered a "Make it Wool" contest. I loved sewing.

When I was in my twenties I bought an old sewing machine from my girl friend's mother. It was a good sewing machine and I made lots of fun things with it, including my son's quilt on his bed and the curtains in his window.

The only sewing I do now-a-days is on my scrapbook pages, but I am still happy I know how to sew.

2 comments:

jo ann poulsen said...

You can bet mom was right by you with those scissors!!!! I think my girls are sometimes to laxs with thier scissors, in thier homes. But the scissors here are too sharp!!!!! But you can't get the old stlye scissors to cut. I don't know how you girls ever cut with them. My gr. kids can't make them work. Thus that is why the sharp ones here, now.

Kristin Coppee said...

It's amazing how things have changed. Seeing you holding sharp scissors in that picture as a young girl doesn't even scare me. It just seems natural. Nowadays if my girls were holding those scissors I would FREAK! I think it's just a sign of the times. Back in the day moms had more time to teach their little girls how to handle such sharp instruments. Moms nowadays are often too busy to sit down with their kids and work with them like that.